March 23, 2012

Bemoaning Pneumonia

All day yesterday, Sam was super lethargic. Even when he was awake, he wanted nothing more than to be held on my chest. He refused to sit up for physical therapy, and generally was just a ball of limp baby all afternoon. By dinner time, he was running a fever. The fever plus the lethargy had me worried, so we were in touch with the doctor that night. He perked up some after the tylenol kicked in, so we made an appointment with our pediatrician for this morning. He slept most of the night, with coughing episodes every hour or so.

By this morning, he was still super sleepy, only eating a few ounces at a time, and wheezing. As I sat in the waiting room, I just knew this wasn't going to turn out well.

His oxygen levels were hanging out in the mid 80's, despite two different breathing treatments in the office. Our pediatrician heard some diminished breath sounds in one lung and got on the phone with the hospital pretty quickly. After it became evident that the Albuterol wasn't going to cut it, they put him on oxygen and the hospital doctor insisted that he come in by ambulance. 

Want know what's a really sad sight? A baby car seat strapped onto a gurney. Oof. 

I followed the ambulance through traffic to wind up once again at Levine Children's Hospital, where we spent most of October 2011. He was quickly admitted and the doctors and nurses started pouring in. Once they got him on oxygen, he didn't seem so sick anymore. He was still wheezing, but didn't seem to be in a lot of distress. Unless they made me lay him down. He was quite the little barnacle for those first few hours.
The doctors figured some type of respiratory virus, and started running tests to confirm. They eventually did a chest x-ray and discovered that he has pneumonia, a little in both lungs. They just started an IV to get some antibiotics going. We were already visited by some of our old CV ICU respiratory therapists and cardiac nurse practitioners. It's practically like Homecoming Week around here.

We aren't sure how long we will be in the hospital. It will once again depend his dependence to oxygen and how long it takes him to get weaned off it and breathing easy on his own. 

 He's actually been eating much better since we got to the hospital, almost doubling what he ate the entire day yesterday, so that is one less thing to be worrying about.

We are back on the progressive floor, so we have to be with him 24/7. It makes things a little tricky making sure Luke is covered, but I think we'll survive the weekend, at least. 

It was so hard walking those familiar paths through the parking garage and lobby, knowing exactly which floor to get off on and where to go without asking any body. Seeing the same security guard manning the elevators as was there 5 months ago. But within minutes of being there, I was able to relax, simply because when he needed to be held, I could hold him. No incision to worry about, no pacing wires to nervously avoid, no hesitation to pick him up and comfort him the way he wants to be. 
Thank God for that small blessing. 


  1. Praying for a complete and quick recovery for sweet little Sam. Praying for rest and refreshment for you. Praying for ALL the family...may God provide your every need!

  2. Oh Sam! Feel better soon little guy!