October 31, 2011

Day 20 Updated

(Sorry about the lack of paragraph breaks and sideways pictures...blogger doesn't like my iPad, so it keeps screwing it up. I'll fix it soon!)
Monday morning, Travis and I dragged ourselves out of bed at 5AM so that we could be at the hospital with Sam before he was wheeled away for surgery. When we arrived, he was sleeping, but you could tell he'd been upset recently. He doesn't like having to fast those last few hours before surgery! I can't blame him.

We spent some time with him while they prepped his little crib for moving and then we followed him down to the 5th floor where the operating rooms are located. He woke up while we were talking to the anaethesiology team, but he didn't cry or stay too fussy. It's like he knows I need to see him not in distress before he has to be taken away. Again, the team taking care of him did an excellent job reassuring us and promising to take good care of him.

After they took him to get started, Travis and I headed to the waiting room. Even though we had access to our things in the ICU, we decided to stay in the lounge and stretch out on their sofas. Since we were more familiar with how the day would precede, we were able to relax a lot more than we had during the previous surgery. We watched the Today Show and played Monopoly on the iPad. The hours seemed to fly by and before we could even get too antsy, they were telling us that the surgery was completed and that we would be allowed back upstairs soon. As we stood in the elevator lobby, Travis commented about how it had felt like we'd just been on a date. In fact, those 4 hours sitting in the waiting room were the longest amount of time we'd spent together (while conscious, at least) since this whole ordeal began. Silver linings.

It was hard to see Samuel intubated again, but it was so nice to not see his external pacing wires and pacemaker box lying in his bed. His screen was back to monitoring a zillion different things, but this time, I knew what each number represented. Travis and I left for lunch for about an hour and took advantage of the time he was still intubated. By the time we returned, he was waking up and they were getting ready to remove his tube. I absolutely hate watching that whole process, but he handled it like a pro.

This recovery is radically different from his AVSD repair. We lost the breathing tube within hours of being in the room, instead of days. He got rid of his catheter, his big oxygen monitor sticker, his central line, and one of his IVs shortly thereafter. He was able to eat that afternoon, and was only on the high flow oxygen for a little while. It almost started to make me nervous since the pace was so much quicker, but I just had to keep reminding myself that he didn't need all that stuff anymore. He was getting better. His incision site looks good, and his little chest is free of all the extra wires that were in place for the temporary pacemaker. It's nice to see. You can barely tell that he has anything extra in him, but his tummy is a little harder on one side than the other and you can feel the outline of the pacemaker with your fingers. As he gets older and bigger, it will be even less noticeable. His pacemaker could last anywhere from 7-9 years, but it all depends on how much he has to use it.

They are working on managing his pain levels and continuing to give him some medications through IV. He has a few monitoring IVs in that will probably be coming out overnight. If he handles everything through the night, we may be leaving the CV ICU unit tomorrow, or they may keep us in here until he is discharged. Either way...we are many steps closer to ending this hospital stay. I can't wait.

I switched off with Travis during the late afternoon so that I could take Luke trick-or-treating. He was confused at first about how the whole thing worked. He would have much preferred to stop and eat each piece as it was given to him instead of waiting until after he collected it all. But he finally got the hang of it and we had a good time. He hadn't had much candy prior to this, but he is definitely a fan. You could see the chocolate craze enter his eyes after his first Hersey bar. He was not at all interested in sharing the chocolate with me or Grandma, but he was pretty generous with the Skittles. He, of course, wanted to eat the whole lot before bed, but didn't fight me too hard when I cut him off. However, I doubt this will last. He is such a Houdini that we may have to put his stash under lock and key.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is a good story! I'm so glad that Sam is improving so quickly!! Glad that the pacemaker is there to bring you peace (in addition to God's peace, of course) about the safety of your little man!

    On a humorous note- I'm trying to remember if Travis was at USU during Sam E's days...He was a friend who had a pacemaker since he was about 16 years old. At some point he'd learned that he could make the cord "dance"! Yeah, I guess that was a bit weird, now that I think about it, but perhaps once little Sam masters nursing, crawling and walking you'll be able to start on that new skill?

    Happy to hear of your progress!
    Amanda Bishop